Yeshwantrao Chavan College, Sillod was established in 1972. During 1993 the institution has taken up the steps for opening faculty of science, at the same time the department of Zoology was established in the year 1993. From the beginning Dr. Smt. S.N. Borde was Head of the department until 2008, after that she was selected Assistant Professor in the subject Zoology at Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad. Later Dr. S.T. Naphade received the charge of the department.
The department has well equipped laboratory to meet the practical as per the latest syllabus of the parent university. The department has academic autonomy to some extent in deciding optional papers, teaching methods, selection of reference books, periodicals, practicals etc. The faculty members have freedom to enjoy various academic activities for betterment of students, institute and personnel academic benefits. Museum of the department is decorated with models and number of specimens of various groups of animals. The department has 830 books in college central library respectively. Modern teaching methods are practiced and use of ICT is made in teaching and learning. Students are assigned projects to enrich their practical knowledge.
Zoology is the branch of science where animal structures, development, classification and related aspects are studied. Animal being an important part of ecosystem play specific role in benefiting human beings helping them to provide food and fibers. Study of Zoology helps in conservation of Biodiversity and in recent research areas like stem cells, organ transplantation and genetic engineering. Continuous contribution of the department for education to the rural students in the subject Zoology. The Department has also run the certificate course in Sericulture.
objective of the department:
- To introduce the animal diversity and biology of organism to common man through students.
- To create awareness about intimacy of organism and environment.
- To spread the knowledge of economical and biological importance of animals.
- To provide students foundation essential for self-employment through Fisheries, Sericulture, Apiculture, Poultry industry.
- To improve skill and provide knowledge to students for their future career.
- To offer opportunities for higher studies.
- To develop scientific view and imagination power among the students.
- To encourage the students for participation in various activities.
Highlights the department:
- All permanent faculties are highly qualified.
- One minor research project completed sanctioned by UGC, WRO, Pune.
- Two days National conference organized sanctioned by UGC, New Delhi.
- Faculty members are recognized research guide by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad.
- Faculty members participated in research activities.
- The department has organized blood group and haemoglobin detection camp every year.
|Sr No.||Name of faculty||Cell No.||Photo||Resume|
|1||Dr. SUDHIR TUKARAM NAPHADE (HOD)||9423394723||Resume|
|2||Dr. PRAFULLA SHARADRAO PATIL||9422243974||Resume|
|3||Dr.VISHNU KONDIBA BAROTE||9823189365||CHB|